XLRI..Ragging..

Can You believe it!! i thought that XLRI is the place for wannabe future managers.But the turn of events that have occured in the recent days have made me to rethink about my opinion.Educated people stooping to such levels was unthinkable ,that too from an institute of XL's caliber.

The event which i am talking about is the treatment meted out to the freshers at XL this year.The freshers were subject to unprecedented levels of ragging by some drunken seniors who under their inebriated condition had the audacity to barge into the ladies hostel.Gross misuse of democracy and the highly profane language and vulgar threats they issued to especially the fairer sex is condemnable.

XLRI is said to be the alma mater of the top notch HR's in India who basically deal with public relations and here we have a set of students drinking and abusing girls.Where does this help you in improving or honing your HR skills??This time the senior guys being abetted by the senior gals.Is this what you call women liberalization? Not generalising but i am appalled by such behaviour coming from girls. I thought at least girls are bit more mature and i am sorry to say you have set a very bad example.

Threatening the girls with "rape" is atrocious.where the hell can u find "rape" in a B-schooler's dictionary.don't know whether the above statement has been said ,but if it is the truth then shame on you ppl.

I expected teh people to give back a fair reply to the allegations and what we received at PG were nothing but a motley of lies that too from an old PGite was just too much.


Leaving off for the day will continue later...

Comments

Anonymous said…
It doesnt come as a shock to me,men and women are the same everywhere.....I've been subjected to crude ragging myself,happens in most b-skools.Ragging/men-women misbehaving is not really related to theier maturity level/education et al(they mite do it in a more civilized manner,thats about it).Dont u brand the inst as 'bad' cos of this one incident.And well a statement like this from u "atleast not gals' shocks me infact........Sindhu
harry said…
Juust as there is a very thin line between looking sexy and dressing indecently similarly there is a line between ragging and going one extra step ahead to torture them just because they have been subjected to similar treatment the year before.you can rag them but not abuse them physically i hope you get the point.And i still stand by my opinions that girls should not have abetted the guyz in ragging of their junior counterparts by their male counterparts.Girls are much more mature than guyz and they must be able to differentiate between what is decent and indecent behaviour.i strongly abide by indian culture and just because some girls drink and do this does't mean that it is an accepted act.it has to receive a condemnation.
rest is your choice.everyone is entitled to their opinions.so whom can we fault??
Anonymous said…
such events/behaviour/atrocities need to be condemned and discouraged. Even i can't digest the fact that students at XL did all this.
http://johnivan.blogdrive.com
Anonymous said…
My name is Neeraj, I am an XLer, 2004 Batch, currently working with IBM. Summers with Coca Cola. Comp Science grad from Delhi University. Decent page dude.

Since I have been there, I can tell you a little more about XL than what Pioneer/Deccan Herald/Statesman/PagalGuy or other arm chair activists can.

These people who are being accused of ragging were my juniors at XL and I know each of them personally. Actually, in XL, you know everyone personally. Thats because XL has the smallest batch size amongst top-5 B-Schools. Thus, I know my entire senior batch, my own batch and my entire junior batch. And not just me, everyone does. So, since I know them personally, I can say that none of them is the "rapist" that the papers are claiming. The only newspaper to actually send a correspondent on campus was pioneer, othes based their story on that story. The person came to campus at 1030 am, did not find anyone and concluded that people are scared to come out. Well, they were all sleeping in their rooms after an all night long party hosted by the seniors!!!

I can go on trying to clarify the claims etc... but why waste time... all I can say is that not once in my life I ever felt that XL is not my home.

If you need to talk further, about XL, about IBM or about life in general, mail me on neerajsh@gmail.com :)
harry said…
Hi neeraj,
thanks a lot for offering to clarify. i will mail to you and get the details of what really happened.

Popular Posts