Comparisons - an unnecessary evil

I was chatting with a long time friend and she casually remarked that i was getting too much worked on what my peers were doing and she said that i would need to take stock of bigger pressures later in life and it is totally unwarranted to have any pressures at this point and all the more for trivial reasons.

generally i would have justified why i am doing like that, but for a change i self -introspected and found that it was really true. I was getting more and more into teh viscious circle and the comparisons never stop. you pass 12th..then they ask why not IITs..then u finish BE then again the questions why not MS..okies then when u get a job in XYZ then the question why not ABC..u work in XYZ for 2 years then why not MBA ...then u do MBA..why MBA from GSBC and not the IIIMs and like minded institutes.. u finish MBA and get job in PQR then why not a job in I-bank or consulting..My god!!! wont it ever stop!!!

even if i have been content the society thrusts it pressures on to me and boy!! the stress has till now been killing me.. Is this really necessary...

some people are born intelligent and some become intelligent down the lane and i belong to the latter category, but society believes there exists only one creed and it is the former.

I think i have been cribbing ever since i passed out from engineering and have never really found what i want. cribbing i feel is a result of insecurity as well as inability to understand what u really want. In the broader sense if i think what i really want i must admit i have done reasonably well both in professional and personal front. if i am not proud of my achievemnets who else will be. i am pretty sure that there will be a thousand people who would like to be in my shoes. The case of grass looking greener on the other side has always led me in pursuit of trvial greener pastures which i am now confident i will never find as whichever pasture i go turns from green to red.The problem is not with pastures but with mindset.

As a starting block i will start to feel good about myself, reduce the cribbings and most importantly will stop the comparisons.the comparisons wouldn't have been there had i been in some other place like noida, blore , hydie etc.. but anyways knowing that i am responsible for my actions and decisions i am gonna enesure that i have all the more reasons to celebrate my existense and achievements rather than rant abt it..

A big damn to another set of comparisons which come..

hey u gotta go to US and earn $%^&$% or work in#@$@#$ in ndia .. then only girls will marry you..

hell!! with it!! I am not an IITian ..i am not an IIMite but i defly am a simple human with decent list of achievements..and i am good at certain things which the elitists from the elite instis are not.. a BIG "O" to my self confidence..(O podu..)

Comments

Unknown said…
dei .. stop cribbing ... call me when free ...
Madhu said…
Oho!

Btw, you know the problem - you have figured it out quite clearly and you know the solution. So, what's to stop you? Happiness is within you, my friend.
Vinesh said…
Comparisons can stunt a person's growth if given too much power
Anonymous said…
No more cribbingsa!!! College silent aidum machi...
Madras to Ambai said…
hi been reading ur blog for quite some time.i had been through a similar experiance when i was jus out of my engg. my friends were doing pretty well i was struggling to get hold of my life..i had quit a decent job due to problems with my boss.. the market was at it's worst..my mom swearing at me that she would commit suicide.. n on top of that my arrogance on certain issues.it was probably the lowest point in my life..somehow in bout a year i came out it.. though the prime reason being i had done decent enuf at the end of the year.but in retrospect i realise that i had put unnecessary pressure on myself.during my pg i got into company which was considered to the wrst company on campus..the general perception was that only dumbos cld get into that firm..but by that time a sense of maya had sweeped past me n i was oblivious to everything around me..wrk also oferred me the same environment..apprisals n stuff ..showing that u r better than the rest..these things go on and on..for ever..jus sit back n njoy whatever u do..a wee bit of lackadaisical attitude always helps..too much philosphy frm a stranger right!!if u feel offended sry fr that..
Pandhu said…
hey first time to your blog from vinesh's blog.
Cool musing.
Am blog rolling you pal.
Cheers.
remember "the bane of being an iyer lad"
God Krishna said…
hey prashanth... long time since i visited ur blog... I too am facing a similar predicament as u but hell i dont even have a job and yeah "the bane of being an iyer lad" that too is there....me too taking a leaf out of ur book
harry said…
u guyz are right..this one is close on the heels of the post " the bane of a tamil iyer lad"..glad that u guyz remember it.. i think we gotta overcome it and ensure that we at least dont repeat this shitty comparisons 20-25 years down the lane..
God Krishna said…
i guess the whole comparison thing isnt over yet... we aere complaining about it when we were out of college after UG... now we're feeling bad after not getting thro to the company that we wanted and what not about society... right now i am in the same situation as u were in the UG.. so i guess life still is the same for this tamil iyer lad... ps: i always wanted to ask whats VMM
harry said…
hey krish,
chill man..i think better things are in store for us. just that we need to be a bit patient..leave the comparisons shit dude..its crazy and sucks out your happiness..hope u get out of the bane of being a tamil iyer..:lol: btw VMM stands for vidya mandir mylapore..the school where i studied.

Popular Posts